DSK

Default oday 25, for the beginner or not?

Phracktal wrote:
i still havent found anyone who has taken one to the caribbean though.

There is probably a reason for that.

most reviews i've read say that its a sturdy enough and forgiving
boat.

There were several builders pumping out boats under the O'Day brand
name. Some are fairly well built (somewhat above average for a mass
produced boat) some are noticably below average. By that I mean the
structural details comprising the strength of the boat, as well as the
wiring & plumbing & joinery etc etc. Most builders who seek a reputation
for "high quality" concentrate on joinery and advertising.

one of the boats that has thus inspired me is the "afterblue", a
hughes northstar 25 that made it from lake ontario to the bahamas with
a fair bit of singlehanding by a very novice skipper. ive read the log
and feel that the oday would ultimatly be the better choice but i
would like to hear if anyone dissagreed.

I disagree. The Hughes is a much better built boat. After a year or two
of hard sailing on a daily basis, the O'Day will start to come apart.
They are built for occasional daysailing in good weather, as are almost
all mass-produced boats.

curmudgeon mode OFF

Fresh Breezes- Doug King