Tim Tim is offline

Default Toe Rail Recaulk

On Sep 2, 7:57*pm, Vic Smith wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 19:56:27 -0400, Wayne B

wrote:
On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 08:36:56 -0500, Vic Smith
wrote:

Shortly after coming aboard my can when I joined the Navy, I wanted to
take a look at the chain locker.
Asked a Boatswain Mate something like, "Where's the hatch to get below
the forecastle?"
He didn't understand me and asked me to repeat.
I did. *He sill had to think about it, *then he laughed and said.
"You mean foc'sle," and gave me directions.
And of course boatswain is bosun.
Holy Worcestershire!

===

Holy cannoli !

Is foc'sle pronounced something like "folk sil" ?

Exactly. *The "l" in folk gave me pause until I said it a few times.
"Meet the Fockers" first came to mind. *Nope.
You have it exactly right.

--Vic

good to see you again, Vic.