Phracktal

Default oday 25, for the beginner or not?

ive recently fallen prey to the entire idea of cruising and sailing in
general, and have decided to buy a boat. ive not really sailed before
though ive read alot about it and plan to take safety lessons and get
a fairly durable dingy for practice. it will probably be a year or so
before i can save enough $ to buy my sailboat and probably another
year to equip it.

my question is though, is an oday 25 suitable for gulfstream crossings
in terms of sailability and seaworth? obviously, the skill of the
sailer is most importiant but can the boat handle it?

ive looked around and found good looking odays in my price range and i
like the extra beam in comparison to the hunters, macgregors and
catalinas ive seen. the oday just looks more comfortable to me.

i fully intend to liveaboard in florida or maybe even new-orleans
while i get to know the boat. (logging as many hours as i can while
there.) and i know better than to try to take on seas beond my skill.

i will be a sailer before i head too far south make no mistake.

would any of the experienced sailors here trust their skills in an
oday 25 for the caribbean?

any help and or just general comments are greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

chris