Wayne B Wayne B is offline

Default Toe Rail Recaulk

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:21:19 +0700, Bruce
wrote:

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:01:47 -0400, "Flying Pig"
wrote:

Toe Rail Recaulk

I'm at the stage in my chores that I'm digging out all the old caulking (3M
101 at the time - it's no longer available) to recaulk our toerail.

My fiberglass supplier, with a long history in the boatbuilding biz, is
recommending Bostic 940FS. Water cleanup and tooling, it looks easy to work
with, with a 20 minute skin time..

I'm having some serious questions as to the wisdom of using this material.
The 101 I'm taking out in some places is very resistant to removal (others
pull our fine with the V-shaped tool I'm using to get under the center and
catch the edges in one pass).

However, that's merely caulk, and not an adhesive. Knowing 5200's
reputation for later removal makes me think twice. I hope I don't, but
realistically I expect that at some point in the future, I'll be recaulking
the toe rail. Whether I'd be able to get this stuff out without treating it
(time, money, ?? impact on the paint/teak) is keeping my attention right
now.

Has anyone used this stuff (Bostic 940FS) to say how it behaves,
particularly in having to remove it?

Secondly, if you've had years of experience (how does it hold up?), if not
this, what do you use which is currently available (101's not)?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

The majority seem to be using either 3M 5200, or it's quick setting
brother, or one of the Sikaflex sealants/adhesives.

Bostic 940FS has a tensile strength of 255 psi @ non-stated
elongation, but over 100%

3M 5200 has a tensile strength of 700 psi with 1350% elongation before
break.

The Bostic cleans up with water, the 3M cleans up with 3M cleaner,
white spirits, diesel fuel, etc.

But a question. If you use 5200 why do you think that you would later
be recaulking?

We've had good luck with 3M 4000 UV Marine Fast Cure Sealant on areas
that that are exposed to direct sunlight.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...ct.do?pid=2005