Armond Perretta

Default land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach

Laura wrote:
We have a 200 Sea Ray Sundeck (deckboat/bowrider). I have a fluke
anchor. We are new to boating.

My question is whether or not a "land anchor" is useful or will the
fluke anchor work just as well for setting the anchor right on the
beach?

I'm not familiar with the "land anchor" you mentioned but I suspect many
folks would classify something like this as a "novelty" item and not give it
much further thought. Depending on exactly what you want to do, where you
want to do it, and how often and for how long, you will probably be happier
in the long term using another fluke (or "Danforth-style" or "patent" style)
anchor.

Look at it this way: you can always put down your second Danforth on the
beach, but that "land anchor" won't do you much good when you need a second
"water" anchor.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat