L. M. Rappaport

Default I-68 forms

On Fri, 21 May 2004 01:09:34 GMT, "Tom Weyand"
wrote (with possible editing):

We folks sail on/at/near/around the US-Canada border all the time. Following
is a letter to our House Representive Candice Miller from the DRYA. Ms.
Miller is a sailor and has sailed the Port Huron to Mackinac Island race
several times.

The mentioned I-68 forms cost $18.00 plus three passport type photos plus
waiting in line at the INS line. All have to be present at the INS with
photo ID. And they are good for only one year.

My boat is on Lake St. Clair - 216nm as the crow flies to Mackinac Island
(from the GPS) and 8 hours upstream to Port Huron (these locations are
mentioned in the letter).
Just to let you know our problems. Any political help you can give is
appreciated...

Wow, talk about FUD - fear, uncertainty & doubt. Our government is at
it again. I live in northern NH and want to spend a bit of time this
summer on Lake Memphramagog. That lake is partly in Vermont and
mostly in Canada. To be sure I was doing the right thing, I asked a
friend who is a semi-retired customs officer. He told me that all
that is necessary was to call the Canadian authorities (dock phones
available) before leaving Newport, VT and calling US Border stations
when returning. This is the first I've heard of an I-68, NEXUS, or
other such nonsense. I'll check again with one of our border stations
to see if they've even heard of this.

FWIW, when crossing the border by automobile, you don't even need a
passport here - a simple driver's license will do....
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com