X ~ Man[_2_] X ~ Man[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for catfish experts

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 12:58:10 -0400, iBoat Often wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 15:33:39 -0400, iBoat Often wrote:

I've caught my share of catfish and bullheads. But, I was watching those
southerners noodling which for those that don't know is using your hands
to pull them out of their hiding places. They seemed to have no regard
for the barbs on the fishes dorsal fin or pectoral fins. Anything that I
can find says that ALL catfish have barbs. I'd think those 20# or 30#
ones would have some big barbs!!! But again, those people were holding
them up against their torsos and such with no regard. So what's up with
that?

You just need to know how to hold them.
In a sea cat, if I really want to grab one, I center the dorsal
between the pointing and FU finger and hold them around the middle.
Usually I prefer not to touch them and just use my blue fish dehooker.
(a stainless car antenna with a hook on one end and a big wood handle
on the other) and flip them off.
Just be careful it doesn't flip off on your foot. BTDT

But these guys have huge catfish and one guy just rolled the thing up on
his chest and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOxt6r7HSNg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UIpO...eature=related

I think that the bigger they get, the less chance they will buck and
throw a spine in you. Most people who get spined by a catfish have it
happen while they are flopping around on the line or they step on it
on the deck.
You generally have to do something dumb to get hit by a catfish or a
stingray. (think Steve Erwin)

BTW I know a guy who thought noodling grouper was cool until he
grabbed a moray.

But I'm telling you, they roll them all over themselves sometimes.