posted to rec.boats.building
poke poke is offline

Default Building a punt.

On Jul 26, 4:35*pm, "
wrote:
I live next to a canal (the Bridgewater canal in Cheshire UK) and I
fancy building a punt. I haven't actually ever tried punting but I
have watched others doing it and it seems like a lot of fun.

I am intending to build my punt and have obtained the plans from a
book published in 1952. What concerns me is that the bottom of the
punt is curved, you can see the plans here.....http://www.zeonozo.aquiss.com/Main_plan_original.jpg
I am worried that when it is on the water and I am standing at the
rear with pole in hand, punting away, then the bows will rise
completely out of the water, because it is may behave like a see saw.

Perhaps I am not visualising what will happen when it is in the water,
maybe it will be okay, or perhaps I have to stand in the middle unless
I can encourage my wife to act as a counter weight at the front (this
is highly unlikely).

Any comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Or if you
know of some better plans then that would be even better. An important
criteria is that the the finished item must be light enough for two
people to lift out of the water and carry 20yds.

If anyone want to see all the instructions, I've scaned them in and
you can see them here....http://www.zeonozo.aquiss.com/Punt_plans.pdf

Thanks in advance for any help.

James

Greetings James, I just finished a build of a lightweight Jon Boat
that I think would be perfect for your purpose and the plans are free
and downloadable from the internet. You can get all the details he
http://aaawelder.com/johnboat.html . I hope you find this information
useful.

Randy