Chris Newport

Default Can I use Solid wire for rewiring sailboat if not WHY?

On Thursday 27 May 2004 3:18 pm in rec.boats.cruising L. M. Rappaport wrote:

I'll agree with everyone else - tinned, stranded wire is the best
wire to use. In addition, if the boat is fiberglass, you should use
"wire loom" for conductors which can rub against the hull or any other
unfinished fiberglass surface. The reason is that unfinished
fiberglass is quite abrasive. You can buy wire loom at auto parts
stores - it's like a flexible plastic pipe slit up the side. It
provides a smooth interior which will not abrade the insulation.

I prefer to use spirothene because it makes for a tighter bundle and
it is easier to drop out individual wires along the way. Another much
neater method is to lace the loom with waxed twine. This looks really
neat and takes up a lot less space than wireloom or spirothene, but
needs separate protection where rubbing is likely.

Another very important point is that shrinktube should always be used
to protect the transition between the wire and a lug or terminal. This
is a weak point where any vibration or movement will naturally be
concentrated.

--
My real address is crn (at) netunix (dot) com
WARNING all messages containing attachments or html will be silently