Laura

Default land anchor vs fluke anchor for anchors set directly on beach

We have a 200 Sea Ray Sundeck (deckboat/bowrider). I have a fluke
anchor. We are new to boating.

My question is whether or not a "land anchor" is useful or will the
fluke anchor work just as well for setting the anchor right on the
beach?

I have found two types of beach anchors 1) Ironwood Pacific Land
Anchor for around $40. This is a helix design and is 22" long (see
http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products/landanchor.asp) and 2) "beach
spike" length ?. This is more of a straight spike design, so you just
drive it straight down. (sold by www.skilimited.com).

I assume a land anchor is a little bit easier to use? But then again,
if a fluke anchor works just fine when in the water, wouldn't a fluke
anchor be just fine when on dry land? I am a bit concerned about
having too much gear on the boat. I also only have one anchor, so
maybe having a land anchor as a backup would be a good idea?