BeachBum[_2_] BeachBum[_2_] is offline

Default How do I dissolve corrosion between the upper and lower uniton an outboard engine?

On 8/10/2011 3:32 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 11:52:01 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Aug 10, 1:34 pm, wrote:
"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

All the ones I have pulled apart that shaft goes through a seal into
the area where there is gear lube. But that's on i/o's. Maybe it's
different on outboards.

I have had outboards be a little cranky but never had to pry one
apart.
Start the nuts a few turns so it won't drop and kick the gear housing
"bullet" on each side. That will rock it and break it loose most of
the time
If it was one of the shafts corroded up you would still have a little
free play. My bet is still the locating pins.

The bolts, if stainless, cause a reaction with the aluminum housing. the
resulting white oxidation wedged tightly in the gap causes the binding.
Grease or never seize will prevent the problem in the future. Wedging
the halves apart is the best solution in stubborn cases