JR North

Default Larson - Certified POS

Teething problems. Most of the stuff isn't Larson, but other
manufacturers stuff. True, a quality check *should* have
found some of the problems. Others, maybe not.
My MaXum 2550 SCR, new in 1990, had it's bitch list also.
The tach didn't work. They said they had to order another
one. I looked under the dash; it was just unplugged. The
power steering actuator chattered on turns. They replaced
it, cross threaded the pipes, and I found out when I got a
couple quarts of PS fluid in the bilge my first time out
afterwards. Several other small items; I bitched their
service dept blue until they were all corrected. Under
warranty. Now, 13 years old, the boat is perfect; no other
major problems.
In accessing the boat's quality, look to the fit/finish,
construction, power package alignment, hull lay up,
controls, wiring integrity. If the deck seam, portholes,
hatches leak, if the bulkheads pull loose, or if the deck
stress cracks or pops off when you take a capped 5 footer in
the kisser, then you have a POS. Otherwise, make them fix
everything, under warranty, and enjoy the boat.
JR

Dale Darling wrote:

I ordered a new 2003 Larson LXi 210 w/260 hp Volvo 5.7L GL/SX in March 2003
and picked it up in May. I purchased one because a friend bought a 2001 LXi
212 and had no problems with it.

Within the first 9 weeks, my boat had spent 21 days at the dealer due to the
following issues:
Depth Finder didn't work from day 1. Out of stock. Replaced after 5
weeks.
Alternator bad. Replaced after 4 weeks.
Battery Replaced..
Grounding problem causing blower and radio not to work. Fixed.
Trim gauge would misread. Needle would float up and down. Fixed.
Trailer surge brake (EZ Loader tandem axle) actuator locks up brakes but
will not disengage. Replaced.
Cockpit cover arrived 2 weeks late.
Left Bimini support pole not secure and would dislodge during trailering
or on the water.
Hour meter didn't work. Fixed.
Cheesy stick-on graphics continually fell off.

What the hell was the OK QUALITY CHECK tag doing hanging from the transom of
this piece of crap when it was put on a trailer?

I contacted Larson 3 times but only received an apology and some clothing.
Big deal! They even admitted to me that someone screwed up and I received
the transducer for the depth finder a week late because someone documented
that it shipped but never put it on the truck. OMG!

They didn't laugh when I said I would name the boat, "Lemon Juice". I
shouldn't have to haul the boat back to the dealer to replace items on a new
boat.

Another POS story: The dealer wanted to give me a deal on their 2004 Cabrio
220 cuddy so I took it out for a sea trial. Get this, the sounder would only
provide a reading while at idle speed, the trim gauge was worthless (I'm
better off guessing where the trim is) and the speedometer didn't work at
all! Did they take the parts off my old boat?

I started with a used 1998 Bayliner Capri 1850 SS (4.3L 190hp Merc) and had
no problems whatsoever. Was I just lucky? I don't feel lucky. I just wanted
a bigger boat. At the ramp other new Larson owners would ask me how I like
my boat. I think I scared them when I recited my dissatisfaction with the
piece of crap I had.

I no longer have the 210 and plan on buying another boat from Sea Ray, Four
Winns, or Glastron. I live in Maine and I have 8 months of winter to decide.

Anyone else have an experience like this with Larson or another
manufacturer?

Dale