X - Man X - Man is offline

Default Duck hunting?

On 8/8/11 8:42 AM, John H wrote:
I suppose a 'stump' just wasn't exciting enough as a target.

Actually, poor old Stumpy was more of a target stand for the kind of
shooting you wouldn't have the skill to do.

Stumpy was exactly 25 yards from a shooting area we built up. Stumpy was
in front of a backstop of cut firewood with a natural earthen bank
behind the wood. We built a simple table and chairs out of pressure
treated lumber for our shooting area. We'd place various targets on top
of or attached to Stumpy. Any of us could blast empty pop cans off
Stumpy with a shotgun or rifle, but the real competition was with paper
targets.

And the part you couldn't do?

Shooting a pistol offhand or with a traditional two handed grip and
putting nine rounds out of 10 into a four inch circle 25 yards away.

*That* takes skill. Shooting critters with a rifle or shotgun takes very
little skill.

You want macho hunting? Go take photos of a large bear or cougar in the
wild with a camera with just a "normal" lens and fill the frame with the
animal's head. And don't bring a firearm.

--
Don't forget to leave a bit of beef for rec.boat's right-wing
conservatrashers and ID spoofers to feed upon. The more they feed, the