Jeff Morris

Default Unconditionally stable sailboats

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
We gave up on rational discussion when Jax entered.

no, jeffies, you gave up on rational discussion when you stated that

catamarans
are "unconditionally stable".

I think this proves my point. Jax is so irrational that he didn't notice that I
didn't comment at all on catamaran stability; it wasn't me that made the comment
on "unconditionally stable" and I'm not sure what it means. I would guess,
though, that Chris was talking about cat designs like the Prout which due to a
very conservative design have a virtually perfect safety record: no capsizes, no
sinkings, 5000 built, more circumnavigations than any other brand of sailboat.

Frankly, while jax babbles about theory (getting it wrong, of course), makes up
"statistics," and posts links about 40 year old designs and beach cats, I'm
content that the actual number of modern cruising cats capsizing is less than 5
in the last 10 years or so, with well over 10,000 built.