Steven Shelikoff

Default Unconditionally stable sailboats

On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:41:10 GMT, Brian Whatcott
wrote:

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:27:30 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Jeff Morris wrote:
"Rod McInnis" wrote ...

My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just
recently I learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are
unconditionally stable, that is stable under any and all
conditions.

Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the
mast pointed down.

Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

Why does it usually seem that this subject is argued on an "either/or"
basis.
There are advantages to either approach. Is this really surprising to
anyone here?

I've been reluctant to enter this thread because of the significant
contribution from the lunatic fringe.

Still, for what it's worth:
if you define "unconditionally stable" as meaning "unconditionally
self righting from any start orientation while the structure is
intact", there are several well-known examples.
Perhaps the one that comes first to mind, is a trans-Atlantic rowboat.
This had buoyant sponsons at either gunwale, but more importantly,

I'd be willing to bet that those fully enclosed life boats you see
hanging off of freighters are also unconditionally stable.

Steve