Steven Shelikoff

Default Unconditionally stable sailboats

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:27:30 -0400, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

Jeff Morris wrote:
"Rod McInnis" wrote ...

My, my, my but the things one can learn on a usenet group. Just
recently I learned that cruising catamaran sailboats are
unconditionally stable, that is stable under any and all
conditions.

Unfortunately, the unconditionally stable position is with the
mast pointed down.

Monohulls are unconditionally stable when sitting on the bottom.

Why does it usually seem that this subject is argued on an "either/or"
basis.
There are advantages to either approach. Is this really surprising to
anyone here?

I have both a monohull and a cat. Love em both but they are two very
different boats both because of the number of hulls and the size. But
since the cat is trailerable, I don't have to worry about one of the
main disadvantages, i.e., where to put it when it's not sailing, moored
or anchored.

Steve