Junkman

Default Repair Groco Type K

On Wed, 19 May 2004 08:00:06 -0700, Stephen Trapani
wrote:

One problem you may run into if you have an old, well used Groco is
that eventually the piston and cylinder wears. It has plastic piston
rings and will work well after being rebuilt but the rings will wear
more rapidly then if the clearance was as originally built. I believe
that if I bought a boat with what appeared to be a really hard used
Groco I'd ask the factory about the piston to cylinder clearence and
possibly a factory rebuild. Other then that the Groco is ,as properly
English made suits are describbed -- something you can leave to your
Grandson in your will, wish I had mine back. The Groco that is, still
got the Grand kid :-)

The indespensible Peggie Hall wrote:

And do follow the instructions when you rebuild it. It's not a job
that's particularly intuitive unless you know a good bit more about how
marine toilets work and the functions of the various parts than you know
yet...and it's so much cheaper and easier to do it right the first time
than it is to do it over.

Super cool! Thanks so much for all the help. I'm happy to discover I
landed the Rolls Royce of toilets! ;-) The way I see it I've gotten
pretty lucky buying this boat, and, um, well, um not counting needing
the new shaft, prop, um cutlass bearing, um, four broken motor mounts,
running rigging and um, nevermind all that!

Anyway...

I ordered the Groco Type K refurbish kit as suggested ($110) and plan to
fix the toilet myself, but one quick question. The two guys here who
mentioned sending in their Type K's to have Groco do the refurbish made
me a little nervous. Groco said they include an exploded diagram and
instructions. Is there anything about this job I need special tools for
or that is way difficult? I'm pretty handy on everything from cuckoo
clocks to house foundations, not to mention spines (I'm a
chiropractor!). So... no big deal?

Stephen

Cheers,

Bruce