Jere Lull

Default How to remove stuck light?

In article ,
"Gunner" wrote:

We have an old brass spot light on our boat that I am replacing. The problem
is that the base is stuck to the fiberglass with what I am assuming to be
silicon. Does anyone know of a solvent or technique that will loosen it?

Usually, I can stick a thin blade into the most separated part of the
bond and saw/pry it loose from there. Don't use too much force. Most
times, it won't need much more than working a couple of sharpened putty
knives around the edges. Some like the ultra thin Japanese (?) saws. One
mate recently suggested a thin blade heated by a propane torch --
supposedly handles 5200 nicely.

--
Jere Lull