Peggie Hall

Default Toilet on a budget

Stephen Trapani wrote:

Okay, you guys have convinced me to at least tear apart the toilet to
see if I can fix it.

Unless you discover rubber seals, o-rings etc that have distintegrated,
there's not much inside a pump that CAN be fixed. Either replacing all
those doodads works, or it doesn't. Btw, what seems to be wrong with
it...what are the symptoms?

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's tearing
things apart! ;-)

Where will I find this nasty joker valve?

Inside the discharge fitting that bolts onto the pump, connecting the
head discharge hose to the toilet. It's just a round rubber cup-shaped
thingy that has a slit in the bottom and "lips" on the outside of
it...and a flange that acts as the gasket between the discharge fitting
and the pump body. It has nothing to do with the operation of the
pump...its sole function is to prevent backflow from an overfull tank or
clogged head discharge hose from flooding the bowl.

And that question make it pretty obvious that the first thing you need
BEFORE you try to take the pump apart is an exploded drawing of the
toilet pump, 'cuz if you don't know what a joker valve is, you won't
know what anything else is or where it goes either. If your toilet is
the current HF model, the drawing is he
http://www.groco.net/parts/data/508.pdf If it's old enough to be an HC
or HE, you'll have to call Groco for one: 410-712-4242.

--
Peggie