rhys

Default Dinghy tow line

On Wed, 12 May 2004 17:31:21 -0400, Rodney Myrvaagnes
wrote:

Yes, that is why I said "less likely." I have seen dinghy painters
with a series of floats, that might make it "even less likely."
However, hauling the dinghy up short against the stern before going in
reverse is still a great idea.

I have a rough idea of the distance between my prop and the tender's
D-ring in a straight line, and a tad shorter than that is my standard
"deployment".

If it's choppy, I let off 20 feet or so. If it's light air in a
current, you can sometimes have under sail the slightly humiliating
vista of seeing your tender passing your sailboat. This is your cue to
switch on the motor or retire below for "recreation".

BTW, the fender as shock absorber idea is great. That's why I love NGs
like this...someone's solved problems you've yet to consider or
discover.

R.