Tim Tim is offline

Default 3.0 wont idle but runs great

On Jul 11, 5:02*am, "Steve" wrote:
Hey all, I have a 2005 3.0l mercruiser sterndrive that is acting wierd. It
will run all day long, runs great, but at the end of the day, it refuses to
idle, it just dies on me. Start it back up and it will run full throttle
just fine, but try to idle and it dies. If I let it sit for a day or two, it
goes back to running normal.
So far I have rebuilt the carb, rebuilt the fuel pump, cleaned the fuel
filter. checked for water in the gas, put another ingnition module in,
replaced the coil. Im out of things to do.
What am I missing?
Thanks
Steve

You might want to run a compression test to see if you have a burnt
valve. My 140 would sort of do the same thing, but would run WO and
pull the proverbial "4000 RPM", and there was no sign of water in the
oil, but when idling back down it would cough, and die. it took some
throttle work to get it over the dead spot but would seem to run fine.
however, pulling a tube was a chore. a real loss of power. but w/o the
extra drag, you couldn't tell it.Under investigation it had a blown
head gasket and two exhaust valves burnt.

Had the head checked out, replaced with all steel valves and a new
gasket

Runs great and hasn't stalled since.