Steven Shelikoff

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

Armond Perretta wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:

But I can answer about the bow sprits ...
Now on a mooring, I don't think they do count ...
If you have a 37
foot boat with a 5 ft bow sprit and the length limit for the
moorings is 40 feet, I think the bow sprit would not count.

Our experience may differ, but I've never encountered rental
moorings priced by length. I have certainly encountered moorings
that are designed for particular lengths or displacements or
drafts, etc., but they were all rented at the same dollars/day,
Martha's Vineyard and Northeast Harbor ME are typical examples.

Where have you paid different prices for putting different length
vessels on a mooring?

That's not what I meant.

I didn't mean that you would be charged a different price. I meant
that you wouldn't be allowed to rent the mooring at all if you were
oversized.

I sometimes have trouble knowing what folks meant. I do however know what
they wrote.

Bart stated: "Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has
a 5' bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be a shame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space."

Rosalie replied: "But I can answer about the bow sprits. Yes you usually do
count them. You especially count them if it is a face dock. The amount of
dock space you take up includes bow sprits and dinghy davits, and then they
allow about 5 feet between boats. So many marinas do charge for the
total "dock length" (as apposed to deck length) of the boat ... Now on a
mooring, I don't think they do count. If you have a 37 foot boat with a 5
ft bow sprit and the length limit for the moorings is 40 feet, I think the
bow sprit would not count.

At which point I asked the question I asked. Sorry if I didn't know what
you "meant." Please note that I am _not_ referring to bowsprits
specifically, but rather to the idea of renting mooring and charging by
length.

Funny how different people read things differently. I could tell when
she changed the topic from marina dock length and charging by foot to a
mooring where they don't charge by foot but may have "length limit".
Especially since in the original post they were in a separate paragraph.

Steve