DSK

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

Bart wrote:
Are boats like the Tayana 37 still popular and still a good choice for
ocean crossings?

It depends on who you ask.

I've crawled in and out of a few boats during the past couple weeks
and it looks to me that the heavy displacment boats are just built a
lot better than the mid to light displacement ones. This is
especially true in the price range I can afford (less than $100k).

Bzzt, sorry to disagree, but I can offer positive proof that it ain't
so. Chipboard bulkheads and chopper gun fiberglass are very heavy and
can be very thick but will never be strong for marine structures... and
you see a lot of that kind of thing on the lower priced heavy
displacement cruisers.

When comparing open ocean vessels, Is the performace between a heavy
and mid displacment boat really all that much different?

Depends very much on the sailor & on the conditions.

maybe I wouldn't get bored with a lower performance heavy displacment
vessel.

Well, it sounds to me like you are very much in favor of the heavy
displacement boats and are trying hard to stretch a point. Go for it.

BTW don't think I am being insulting, I am a racing sailor and generally
see no use in heavy displacement boats except for people who would be
better off with a trawler. I happen to also own & cruise in a trawler.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King