Rosalie B.

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

"Armond Perretta" wrote:

Rosalie B. wrote:
"Armond Perretta" wrote:
Rosalie B. wrote:

But I can answer about the bow sprits ...
Now on a mooring, I don't think they do count ...
If you have a 37
foot boat with a 5 ft bow sprit and the length limit for the
moorings is 40 feet, I think the bow sprit would not count.

Our experience may differ, but I've never encountered rental
moorings priced by length. I have certainly encountered moorings
that are designed for particular lengths or displacements or
drafts, etc., but they were all rented at the same dollars/day,
Martha's Vineyard and Northeast Harbor ME are typical examples.

Where have you paid different prices for putting different length
vessels on a mooring?

That's not what I meant.

I didn't mean that you would be charged a different price. I meant
that you wouldn't be allowed to rent the mooring at all if you were
oversized.

I sometimes have trouble knowing what folks meant. I do however know what
they wrote.

Bart stated: "Most heavy displacement boats have bow sprits. If a boat has
a 5' bowsprit, do you add that into the total length of the boat when
computing moorage charges? It would be a shame to get charged for 42'
when the boat is only has 37' on deck and 37' of living space."

Rosalie replied: "But I can answer about the bow sprits. Yes you usually do
count them. You especially count them if it is a face dock. The amount of
dock space you take up includes bow sprits and dinghy davits, and then they
allow about 5 feet between boats. So many marinas do charge for the
total "dock length" (as apposed to deck length) of the boat ... Now on a
mooring, I don't think they do count. If you have a 37 foot boat with a 5
ft bow sprit and the length limit for the moorings is 40 feet, I think the
bow sprit would not count.

At which point I asked the question I asked. Sorry if I didn't know what
you "meant." Please note that I am _not_ referring to bowsprits
specifically, but rather to the idea of renting mooring and charging by
length.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I should perhaps have made a paragraph
between the bit about face docks and slips, and the section about
moorings. We have been prevented from using moorings because our
overall length was too great. (and we DON'T have a bow sprit) Altho
IMHO it would be more sensible to factor in boat tonnage and not just
length.

The problem I had was not knowing whether Bart meant dockage when he
said moorage, or if he was just talking about moorings, or if he was
including both. I was assuming that he was using the term to indicate
coming into a marina to a dock or slip. But just in case he meant
actual moorings rather than a dock, I stuck that last 2 sentences in
there. It was a separate thought. Sorry if it was confusing.

grandma Rosalie

S/V RosalieAnn, Leonardtown, MD
CSY 44 WO #156
http://home.mindspring.com/~gmbeasley/id2.html