Doug Dotson

Default Sailing Cuba

"Armond Perretta" wrote in message
Doug Dotson wrote:

... The only reason that
folks have cruised to Cuba since it has been allowed over the
past few years is to impress others (ie. "Look at me, I'm so brave
that I went to Cuba") ...

Are you quite certain about this? Manu folks I know who have cruised Cuba
(i.e., not merely jumped over to Marina Hemingway and jumped back to
Florida) are not at all ready to make a fuss about their trip, since they
are aware of the US position and of the lengths the US government will go

in order to make examples of citizens who violate Treasury regulations.

I guess I meant the one that fill the cruising mags with stories
of their adventures.

In addition, the case can easily be made that Cuba is not at all like
other destinations available to East Coast sailors.

True, so why would I want to go there?

First and most obviously, it's a totalitarian state with all that implies.
You don't get to visit too many places like that in a small boat these

days.

Doesn't sound like a very pleasant place to go if you ask me.

Second, the Cuban people are simply unlike other people in the hemisphere.
They have had a unique experience, both culturally and governmentally, and
learning about this (as much as possible) is itself definitely worthwhile.

Possibly, but I don't have to cruise there to do that.

Third, there are no crowds. There is still a "wild west" flavor to
anchoring in out-of-the-way harbors along the Cuban coast that just cannot
be described. This is definitely _not_ 450 boats anchored in George Town
Exuma for the morning VHF roll call.

Not sure that cruising the wild-west is a fun thing. It's those arrows in my
back
that bother me.

Fourth, the interior is lush and dramatic, and varies from the harsh

culture
of sugar cultivation in the east to the maternal farming methods of

tobacco
in the west. There is a lot to see and learn along the way.

So is Costa Rica, Peurto Rico, and dozens of other places.

Fifth, if you like music, there are few places in the hemisphere to match
what's available in Cuba. An argument can be made that the best baseball
players, the best tobacco, and the best music originate in Cuba..

I still don't have to go there to appreciate.

Sixth, getting a glimpse of the human side of the above issues is an
invaluable experience. It certainly gives one a different perspective on
the bountiful country we live in here in the US.

Sure, I love vacations where I can emerse myself in other peoples
misery.

Other than these few items, I don't think we differ much in our opinions.

Agreed.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat