Glenn Ashmore

Default Heavy displacement vs Medium Displacement for Ocean Passages

Matt/Meribeth Pedersen wrote:

In passagemaking, I don't see the moderate displacement boats
burning up the miles significantly faster than the heavy displacement ones.
I do think that you need to have adequate sail area to make a decent
passage, but when you're cruising, trying to keep the boat speed up over
about 1.2 sqrt WL is just too much trouble. As long as you are
powered up, then waterline length is going to govern.

Half a knot to a knot means a lot on a passage. That is 12 to 24 miles a
day which adds up pretty nicely on a 5 or 6 day run. Most of the time
you are not going to be driving at hull speed so a boat that can easily
be driven in light winds has a definite advantage. OTOH, the quicker
motion of the medium displacement boat can get a bit tiring.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com