Tim Tim is offline

Default Re-flooring my Marquis.

On Jul 5, 6:58*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 5, 1:31*am, Tim wrote:

On Jul 4, 3:35*pm, "Califbill" wrote:

"Tim" *wrote in message

On Jul 3, 4:45 pm, John H wrote:

On Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:48:21 -0700 (PDT), Tim wrote:
Had some old plywood getting soft in the center, and decided to re-do
the floor. when we pulled off the old carpet which was weathered
anyhow, we found out that in the times past someone had repaired the
floor by cutting out a center section and replacing it with standard
plywood. Evidently it had held for quite a while but it's days were
numbered. besides it gave us a chance to inspect the stringers and
other bracing etc.

So, after thinking about the re-floor, we decided to not go with
standard ply because it's not weather resistant, or marine due to the
expense, so we settled on "DRYPLY"

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4882

A weather resistant plywood which has a *lot of characteristics of
marine plywood but is more cost effective. Like $23.00 a 3/4 sheet at
Menards, and in stock too.

Regardless. It ought to last way longer than I'll ever have the boat.

I sure hope you can post some pictures of the process. That would be
interesting.

Wish I could John, but I'll see if I can get some shots of whats going
on tomorrow...

Reply:
Make a frame to go across the gunnels to hold the boat in shape when the
flooring is removed. *The deck is a structural member and the boat will
spread when it is removed.

We didn't remove the entire floor. everything is still in place. We
simply pulled the carpet (in rags!) and saw that someone had replaced
a center section with the cheap plywood. all braces and stringers look
great, so total removal of the floor was unnecessary.- Hide quoted text -

You can't evaluate a stringer by looking at it unless it's not
encapsulated with fiberglass. *I'm betting yours are. *You have to
drill a test hole in it and see if you get mush or wood out of the
hole. *Fill the hole with epoxy and any filler afterwards.

We found that out. The last people who did the center floor did a
pretty mediocre job at best with wood strips resting on the fuel tank
and hardly touching the plywood flooring. needles to say that didn't
work, because the wood wasn't anchored and shifted, so after making
some new bracing for the floor we anchored the bracing into the
stringers with 1" stainless wood screws. They went in like iron and
nothing stripped or went in loosely. I'm confident the stringers are
fine.