Harryk Harryk is offline

Default Living longer? Not in US

On 7/2/11 4:05 PM, Tim wrote:
On Jul 2, 2:25 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:54:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:37 am, Wayne wrote:

That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day.

And you know this because you live in the inner city? Doubtful.

I guess the NY Times is, as usual, just wrong, because it's not a
right-wing publication?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...on/04well.html

I live in a small town surrounded by small towns.It doesn't matter
what the NY Times has to say.But if you think it's "just wrong, as
usual* I won't be the judge. I don't live in the 'inner city' and
I'll repeat what i said:

"That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day. "

Most convenience stores don't have the staff to handle any variety of
fresh produce or poultry, meat, fish products. In the inner city, the
situation is even worse because there's no one to go to the large
wholesale markets or produce wholesalers willing to deliver. Most of
what the stores sell is stuff with a long shelf life.

The convenience store exception seems to be WaWa, which carries a much
larger variety of reasonably healthy food, but it is not an inexpensive
place to shop.

Good food is expensive. Poor people can't afford much of it.

We have our priorities upside down in this country, which is why we are
going down the tubes.

--
Want to discuss recreational boating and fishing in a forum where
personal insults are not allowed?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec-boating-fishing