[email protected] emdeplume@hush.com is offline

Default Living longer? Not in US

On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 15:31:29 -0400, Harryk
wrote:

On 7/2/11 3:25 PM, wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jul 2011 11:54:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Jul 2, 8:37 am, Wayne wrote:

That said, store owners in poor
neighborhoods, like store owners everywhere, know their customers and
stock what sells. If people are buying vegetables and dairy products,
they'll stock vegetables and dairy products. If people are buying
Hostess Twinkies and malt liquor, they'll stock that instead. It is a
tribute to our wonderfully enlightened policies that people can
actually use government food stamps to buy junk food, and it sells
very well.

That's pretty well how it works in my area too. just go through any
convenience store. Pizza, beer and chips is the fare of the day.

And you know this because you live in the inner city? Doubtful.

I guess the NY Times is, as usual, just wrong, because it's not a
right-wing publication?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/04/he...on/04well.html

Rightis think everyone has the wherewithal for good food, good shelter,
decent housing, decent clothing, good health care and decent schools for
the kids.

Thanks to the rape of the economy and the middle class by the rich, the
United States no longer is a country of rising expectations for the
majority of people. After all, it's more important that the rich have
subsidies for their private airplanes than poor and middle class
children have access to reasonably sized classes at their schools.

And, they have time, in between their two or three jobs just to make
ends meet, to cook a healthy meal for their kids who, of course, just
got home from the excellent day-care that is provided by the company.

Those execs with the corporate jets have such a rough life!

Of course, the argument that the righties give is that "it won't make
much difference" for the debt situation, since it's only $10B over 10
years, but of course, if you add up all the little loopholes, right
away you get a big number. But, even $100B over 10 years, we shouldn't
bother. I guess they don't have a problem taking a $100 bill out of
their wallet and tearing it up then? (Assuming they actually have
$100, which is a big assumption...)