Gordon Wedman

Default Offshore Sailing Advice

I would like to second these comments.
I am 5'6" and 140 pounds. On my first offshore hop I decided to use one of
these patches. I also ate a very light supper before our overnight passage.
As soon as I stuck the patch behind my ear I was dizzy, had a very dry mouth
and I think some blurred vision. Don't recall how long this persisted but
it was not pleasant. For the return passage I didn't use anything and was
fine. I wouldn't use TransDerm again. Probably try to get some Stugeron as
I've read it is quite effective.

"Matt/Meribeth Pedersen" wrote in message
ink.net...

"santacruz" wrote in message
Scopolamine is a powerful drug - smaller people can't take the whole
patch and cut it into quarters - stick on the bit and cover it over
with adhesive tape. My daughter (105 lbs) has to do this or her pupils
dilate for 2 days. I use 1/2 patch (225 lbs) Our Dr. says the
patches are better on your chest or underarm. They make you very very
dry mouthed.

I've had some good and bad reactions to Scop. I didn't like the bad
reactions so have switched to Bonine. Regardless of the medication
you use, it's best to try it while on land so you can see if there are
any side effects. You don't want to learn about those for the
first time when you're at sea.

Matt