Jeff Morris

Default Yacht insurance

I've only heard positive comments from friends about Boat/US insurance. Every
claim was paid in full without hassle. My cousins had their Sabre lifted out of
a marsh by helicopter a few days after hurricane Bob. (Theirs was the oft
published picture!)

The only complaints I've heard of Boat/US was from people who opted for the
cheap policy which depreciates gear and has a variety of exclusions.

"Jere Lull" wrote in message
In article ,
Dave wrote:

On Tue, 04 May 2004 08:18:47 -0700, santacruz said:

Boat US is the cheapest I've
found

Based on what I've heard, there's a reason for that. Great when you pay the
premium, but hell if you have to make a claim. Our surveyor tells me he had
to sue them twice to get them to pay up.

I have found the opposite. We have had two claims against BOAT/U.S.
policies (one ours, one the other guy's) and both were handled more
professionally than the few claims I've had with my automobile policies.

They weren't the cheapest, but were more liberal than I would have been
in the same situations. My claim against my policy was clearly my own
damned fault (leaving a dockline dangle in the water as we powered up)
and should have been rejected, but they essentially said "stuff happens"
and paid the bills that I thought were inflated.

When Isabele smacked the Chesapeake (thankfully a non-event for us due
to our dockmates' actions), many BOAT/US owners already had been handled
while their neighbors were still trying to reach their insurance
companies.

Primary question I asked my yachting home and auto insurance rep: "If a
gate valve (clearly inappropriate now) through-hull breaks, does the
insurance company cover any subsequent damage (bulkheads, sinking, and
so forth)? When she called back a few hours later after consulting with
the underwriters and said "no", I went to a true marine policy via
BOAT/US.

In addition, most home/auto companies will insure a boat at its
depreciated value (a number determined by the insurance company). By now
(12 years later), our boat would have very little value. BOAT/US still
covers us for about double what I personally feel I could sell the boat
for, but that's the agreed upon value. (our actual capital expenses are
above that, but things like our repower were part of the original
valuation.)

In other words, I strongly recommend that you go to a true marine policy.

--
Jere Lull