Bruce[_3_] Bruce[_3_] is offline

Default Are you the Skipper or is the Helmsman ?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 14:08:32 -0400, WaIIy wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 19:14:58 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

"Wayne B" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:45:05 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

So true. Why, just yesterday I was in a crossing situation with my 6-foot,
2HP motor dinghy having on her port bow a fifty-foot trawler. Did the
trawler do anything but stand on causing me to have to turn to port and
pass
astern to avoid a collision? Negative.

Was the trawler restricted in ability to maneuver?

Negative. He was proceeding through the harbor and was not showing RAM
shaped. Water depths were adequate.

Did you sound the danger signal?

Negative, that would probably have just freaked him out. And, a dinghy is
only required to carry a whistle which he probably couldn't hear anyway.

Did you attempt to contact them in advance on VHF channel 13 or 16?

A VHF in a 6-foot dinghy? C'mon, get serious.

Admiralty Court would probably find you both liable in the event of a
collision, if only because it is fooliish to challenge a much larger
vessel for the right of way.

That's why I took action in time to avoid a collision by turning to port and
passing astern of him though the Rules say not to turn to port. I knew he
didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground and was going to continue to
stand on because his was the larger vessel. Do you wonder why you motor
boaters don't merit much respect?

Wilbur Hubbard

Weren't YOU in a motorboat ? LOL

Ah, but you obviously don't understand - he is Willie the boy wonder
and is never wrong. Therefore the world is expected to stop and gaze
in wonder when he passes by.

Cheers,

Bruce