Default Are you the Skipper or is the Helmsman ?

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:28:34 -0400, Wayne B
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011 15:45:05 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:

So true. Why, just yesterday I was in a crossing situation with my
6-foot,
2HP motor dinghy having on her port bow a fifty-foot trawler. Did the
trawler do anything but stand on causing me to have to turn to port and
pass
astern to avoid a collision? Negative.

Was the trawler restricted in ability to maneuver?

Did you sound the danger signal?

Did you attempt to contact them in advance on VHF channel 13 or 16?

Admiralty Court would probably find you both liable in the event of a
collision, if only because it is fooliish to challenge a much larger
vessel for the right of way.

Perhaps the trawler guy knew who he was :-?
Cheers,

Bruce

It was probably Wayne B. Wouldn't surprise me if the Rube is pulling a
Donald Crowhurst act claiming to have sailed up to the North East while he
is still motoring up and down the Intracoastal Waterway in the Keys because
he's too frightened to sail open water.

Wilbur Hubbard