posted to rec.boats.building
I_am_Tosk I_am_Tosk is offline

Default rowboat -- lightest but easiest to build

In article , says...

On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:14:45 -0400, I_am_Tosk wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 6/22/2011 7:47 PM, scp wrote:

Thank you.
It's in the short list.
I want it as light as possible
but steady enough to fish from.
Any fabric on frame options?

It may be sacrilege to say this on a boat building group but a twelve
foot aluminum is hard to beat. I live in what is called cortege
country. Seems like there's one of these little fishing boats tied up
to 90% of the docks around here.

Some of them are older than the trees that produced the wood you will
use and may well be around long after your wooden boat has returned to
the forest.

A used twelve footer in decent condition around here may sell for less
than the cost of the wood to build a boat that size.

LdB

Well, for the most part you are probably correct. I think part of the
problem is most noobies consider building a boat to save money, but it
won't happen, you have to build for other reasons or it really isn't
worth it. That being said, everyone should build a boat at least once in
their lives to this may be reason enough for the original poster... and
I hope it is.

Anyway, although the eight foot pram might seem a good bet, it's very
small for two, and quite frankly harder to build than say a 12 foot
skiff, skin on frame version of this boat:
http://smallboats.com/images/stanleysie3_500.jpg The lightest (with skin
on frame method, not depicted in the above photo) that I have ever built
one of these is about 125 pounds. It's a bit wide for a standard roof
rack, but one can get it onto a pickup bed easily by themselves.

A nice tradeoff that can be built at about 85 pounds is this:
http://smallboats.com/kc_01.htm
type of boat. (I have built them as light as 80 pounds but a beginner is
probably going to use more epoxy and such so figure 90 lbs) A 10+ foot
pointy skiff with a narrow tail for easy rowing or very small (2 horse
or under) engine... This one would fit on a modified (widened) standard
roof rack on most cars...

The 12 footer boat is great for two, and a dog, a cooler, poles, etc.
although crowded with all that gear, you just can't safely do it with an
8 footer. 8 footers are really better suited for tending a moore. The
ten footer will hold a lot too but it is strictly for protected water.
Here is a pic of on with well over 500 pounds of my friends aboard, it
will hold quite a bit... Here is a picture of the light weight ten
footer with two of my buds in, each well over 250 lbs... Check out the
freeboard still available:
http://smallboats.com/images/jimandrandy_250.jpg

Ok, in conclusion, I think your best bet is a pointy skiff of skin (6mm
occoume) on frame (douglass fir, or spruce)... from your original post,
I think the 10+ foot "rowboat" which accommodates a very small engine
might be your best bet...

Just my .02... Scotty

The plywood skin on frame method is not
as simple as I thought it might be.
At least as described by Thosmas J, Hill.
Next, Gavin Atkins.
Then on to the fabric-on-frame method.
Any fan of Geodesic Airolite boats here?

I think they are great, but maybe not the tool for you. If you are timid
about skin on frame then really not for you

What do you find difficult about skin on frame just out of curiosity?
You build a transom, a couple bulkheads, out of framing lumber, and bend
some plywood around it with a bit of glue and a few nails to hold things
together from what I know...

--
Team Rowdy Mouse, Banned from the Mall for life!