Stephen Trapani

Default Attach laptop to boat?

Ansley Sawyer wrote:

Stephen,

I welcome any thoughts of yours.

I'll let you know if I think of something that ends up working well.
Right now I'm having a strange vision of some kind of arm, like the url
from Armond, but maybe with homemade stuff like Peter Pan mentioned...

I'm going to look the next time I get on the boat at the dashboard in
the cockpit. I wonder if I can put a plexiglass window or something in
it so i can just swivel the laptop around inside the cabin and see it
from both areas. If that's too crazy, maybe just a second mount in the
cockpit so I can move it to both locations. Since I have to wire to all
locations no matter what for nmea, might as well run the other wiring
too, but...

I'm not really fond of the idea of not being able to use it during foul
weather and I don't think I can trust a bimini/dodger setup to protect a
laptop in foul weather. But other than seeing it from below, one can
override the autohem stuff from the helm, right? so having it out in the
cockpit isn't really necessary? Being able to see it in all weather from
the helm would be great though...

Maybe just a swivel like the url so it can swivel into the hatch opening
so one can see it even with the hatch covered, but um, then it will have
to be swung out of the way to go below and come out... Maybe that's no
big deal, um wet hands, um...

The laptop screen probably isn't bright enough to see it at all through
a window in the cockpit in brighter weather, so that idea might not work
well....

I'm leaning toward swiveling into the hatch opening like DS's do.

Stephen