Jay[_5_] Jay[_5_] is offline

Default The dinghy problem again

On 6/17/2011 12:52 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 21:02:58 -0400, Marc Auslander
wrote:

Richard writes:

Long painters are a mistake if you have a motor. In that case the
painter should stop short of the propeller. You can use a long tow
line with it.

Casady

Polypropylene solves the prop problem. You need to replace it every
few years when the sun makes it unpleasant.

I wouldn't trust polypropylene more than a year in the Florida sun.

Tell that to the fellas operating the parasail boat on Ocho Rios. The
poly-propylene tow line was full of fish hooks(wire rope term), and all
the color was faded out. I thought to myself, "Am I going to die
today?"Then I rationalized that if it broke, the sail would drift the
200 or 300 feet to the surface and the boys would at least come over to
retrieve their chute. My survival chances would be pretty good.