Glenn Ashmore

Default Alaska on my mind

Gordon forgot to mention the volcanoes. :-)

I have a client in Fairbanks who has been nice enough to loan me his RV
for some salmon fishing.

Anchorage is actually a pretty nice town. Not nearly as cold as
Fairbanks but not as Quaint as Jeauneau. Mid winter mid day is about
like late afternoon in the real world but in the summer you can paddle
many miles between sunup and sunset. It never really gets dark in the
summer but it is not like Fairbanks where so bright at 2AM it is hard to
go to sleep.

I know nothing about kayaking but there are some rivers on the Kenai
Penensula that look interesting and the Susitna River has got to be a
real trip.

Alaskans are unusual people though. Nobody is actually from there and
everybody plans to leave sooner or later so newcommers fit in fairly
quickly. They are locked indoors for 7 months of the year and when it
starts to show even a little sign of warming up they go a little nuts.

Anne wrote:
Hi

Sometimes I consider moving to Alaska (Anchorage/southwestern, eg
Kenai area) - I know the sea kayaking can't be beat! Just wondering
if anyone can shed some light on life OFF the water.

I am particularly interested in what winters are like considering
there is very little sunlight (another question there - just how
*much* sunlight does southern Alaska get in the winter).

Thanks and happy paddlin'

Anne

ann_in_colorado @ yahoo . com

--