Frogwatch[_2_] Frogwatch[_2_] is offline

Default Propane canister from hell

On Jun 14, 5:08*pm, Boating All Out wrote:
In article 702e71cd-8f1f-4c1d-b675-
,
says...

Good Gawd, don't be so anal y'all. *I take the grill off the stern
rail because if there is any chop it could fall overboard. *It was a
very still night but chop can happen in a few minutes.
Getting the canister below surface would not stop it from leaking near
my boat and propane could get aboard. *Safety requires you get rid of
it ASAP. *Sinking it even "just below the surface" would require
several pounds of weight and unless I want to sacrifice some wrenches,
I cannot think of anything that would sink it and as I just pointed
out, sinking it does not stop it from leaking. *BTW, physics says
enough to sink it "just below the surface" is the same as "all the way
to the bottom" at least in shallow water.
Hazard to navigation? *WHAT? *In a few hours, it will be empty and you
think a small propane canister is a hazard to nav? *Be serious.

Too bad you can't say all this with certitude.

Here is a thought experiment for you.

DO NOT ACTUALLY DO THIS ( I figured I had to add that warning)

Take a Coleman 16 oz cylinder and push a nail into the threaded part
so that it leaks constantly (ie, the built in valve is jammed open).
Drop it into a children's wadding pool. Wait about an hour (no wind)
and go stand next to said pool and strike your lighter. What will
happen? If one poster here is correct, nothing will happen because:
1. The leaking cylinder is underwater
2. The high density propane cannot reach up to where you strike the
lighter.

In reality what will happen is you will either end up in the hospital
or morgue because being under a few inches of water will not stop the
cylinder from leaking and the propane will produce a cloud centered
above the cylinder. This clouds density will vary radially from the
spot above the tank in the water. At your height, the density will
get to the point where the Oxygen mix is right leading to easier
ignition than if you were next to the water.
A cloud of propane on the water is a bomb waiting to be set off even
by someone 10' above and was a major danger to my boat.
It is absolutely certain that the propane was more danger to me than
the empty cylinder would be to anyone else. Even better, the salt
water will corrode the thin walled cylinder thru in a month and sink
it.