Dick

Default Offshore Sailing Advice

Your biggest problem will be picking a weather window in advance so you can
tell the charter company when you want the boat. I personaly like to wait till
I see the window and then leave.

You can probably rent the liferaft in a bag and an epirb if you want them, but
I do not know where you would do that in New York.

For seasickness you can take something like Bonnie the day before and the
morning you leave and then the next day. Seasickness doesn't last more than
three days for most people. For fatigue you can only go sailing before you go
and get use to it. If you are not use to it you will get vary tired. You will
not make good decisions when you are tired so make sure everyone gets enough
rest.

Dick

Need some advice on safety equipment for sailing a little offshore. Our
plan is to charter a boat and sail out of New York for about 200 miles than
come back. The idea is to gain some offshore experience but without taking
too much risk.

There will be six of us, three experienced coastal sailors and three
beginners. I have done a little racing offshore (Newport to Bermuda) and

some limited heavy weather sailing but that's it.

The 42' boat will be fairly well equipped with a lifesling, harnesses
etc. but without a few essential items: liferaft, SSB radio, EPIRB, 2nd

VHF. Can we manage without these? We intend to be at sea for only 4-5 days,

so we should have a fairly good idea about the weather but things can
always change.

I expect the biggest problem to be seasickness and fatigue among the
beginners. Any advice on managing that?