Evan Gatehouse

Default Cybernet café while cruising Experience sought

"Skip Gundlach" wrote in
message ink.net...
In your experience, do non-US-Lower48 cybercafés rarely, sometimes, or
routinely have either wifi or RJ45 high-speed access available to you, or

is
it "use my machine and share my dialup" or equivalent?

Very funny. Maybe things have changed since we cruised, but 56K and less
was the rule of thumb in 1997/8 all through Central America. I found a site
a few years back that listed world wide cybercafes, but don't recall if they
listed speeds. Might be a good idea to check out the Lonely Planet's "Thorn
Tree" for the backpacker's info. They would be more current than me.

Likewise, what about wall-type power to plug into (realizing that we'd

have
to carry converters to non-US-type power countries)?

Uh, what for, a laptop? Just charge it on your boat and carry it ashore
fully charged?.

Also, as we've not yet begun our extensive use of same, we're not current

on
what cybercafés cost these days. Our limited experience is all over the

map,
from free to outrageous. What's your experience?

Generally pretty reasonable except in Belize

We're considering something which would require us to have high speed

access
and perhaps a power supply available...

Good luck on the high speed access. Few and far between would still be my
guess in most countries and asking somebody to connect your mystery device
to their computer (perhaps with a language barrier). Good luck on that too.

--
Evan Gatehouse

you'll have to rewrite my email address to get to me
ceilydh AT 3web dot net
(fools the spammers)