Steven Shelikoff

Default keel stepped/deck stepped masts

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:31:19 GMT, Steve Studley
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:03:55 GMT, Rich Hampel
wrote:

Relativisticly the keel stepped is perhaps better if you have rig
failure and NO LOAD on the rigging. But if you have extreme deflection
at the deck interface and create deformation such as a 'teeny notch'
where it goes through the deck ..... step out of the way, its coming
DOWN.

Try working with an unstayed rig, everything changes.
Of course, I'm only running a junk-rig on a small (21' ) boat, but...

Seems to me that deck stepping an unstayed rig is an exercise in
futility.

Steve