Brian Whatcott

Default Finding electrolysis at the dock

On 21 Apr 2004 18:44:14 -0700, (Parallax)
wrote:

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message ...
"geneb321" wrote in message
There is an excellent article on testing for grounding problems between
shore power and boat at:
http://www.yandina.com/electrolysis.htm

I don't recommend following the instructions at that web site. Creating a
potential safety hazard so that you can eliminate galvanic corrosion is not
a good trade off in my book. You would also have to eliminate just about
every piece of 110 volt gear (TV, ice maker, battery charger, etc.) or come
up with elaborate ways of isolating them.

Rod

I suggest that somebody develop an induction system similarto that
that was to be used with electric cars. No direct electrical
connection to the boat so we eliminate thjis problem.

There is such an induction system - called an "isolation transformer"
This provides the basis for an effective safety system.
Appreciable power ratings cost.

A poor man's approach, which unfortunately has limited power
capability is to join two similar mains transformers at their
secondary windings. The thoughput is then limited to the power
capability of one such secondary.
Example: take two step down transformers rated 120 / 24 volts 10 amps

Connect the 24 volt windings together.
Result, an isolated mains output limited to 240 watts ( = 24V X 10 A)

Brian W