Gogarty

Default Sailing schools in New York City area

In article ,
says...

Steve Colgate's courses (Offshore Sailing School) used to be quite good. I
sent both my first and second wife to his schools, and they both became
adequate sailors just from the course

Late first wife learned to sail with her mother's milk. Second (present) wife
had never been in a sailboat when we bought one. She thought is was the
greatest thing since... So long as it was on dry land. Then we launched and
she discovered sailbaots travel on thier sides. She spent a miserable season
hiding out below and sleeping as much as possible. So next season I sent her
to Colgate's Offshore Sailing School, which was then located at City Island,
New York. She took her course in a Soling in late April when the weather was
simply horrible. She learned very well and has become a very good sailor,
though she did pick up some bad habits, like coiling and wrapping every loose
piece of rope she can find. The Demon Riope-Wrapper. The most importanhing
she learned was that I knew what I was doing since the instrructors told and
taught her the same things. She now enjoys sailing, a lot. When we moved to a
bigger boat we took Offshore's cruising boat course (both of us) and I
learned a few things too despite sailing foer more than fifty years.

I would certainly recommend Offshore, now based in New Jersey. I am sure the
others are just as good.