Rodney Myrvaagnes

Default Finding electrolysis at the dock

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:45:59 -0400, Jean Dufour
wrote:

Chuck Baier wrote:

Rodney, This is a condo marina. They will fix the problem but have no
idea how to track it down. Since it directly affects my boat I will
try and assist them in finding the source. That is why I posed the
question. Chuck

You know that, thru the AC ground lead, all boats plugged into the dock supply are connected together. If you have an aluminum
prop and your neighbour, a brass one, you're making a battery together even without problem in the dock wiring. Check if the
boats without problems are all equiped with a brass prop (or marine stainless) and if those who have corrosion issues don't.
It's just a guess but if so, I don't think the problem is with the dock wiring.

Best way to prevent that, in ANY cases, even if no apparent problems are experienced, is not to leave the shore power cord
plugged while you're not aboard. If your batteries can't keep their charge during the time you're not there, then it may be
time to replace them. Anyway, doing this while the marina checks its wiring should prevent any further problems.

When we had the problem, we had no DC connection to the dock. We used
a trickle charger with isolation. We never have had a DC connection,
but when the ground was fixed, the zincs stopped going away.

I don't think you mean "brass" propellors. Brass will self electrolize
in salt water without outside help. Props are made of bronze, SS, or
plastic.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you