Steve

Default West Coast live-aboard Marinas

I can't speak for all of those locations but I suspect most have only limit
liveaboard availablility, like San Diego.

I liveaboard in San Diego but this was on a mooring.. I know it was at least
4 year waiting list at most marinas and most were just not considering
requests to liveaboard.

I think there are still liveaboards at the Chula Vista Marina (it's called
something else now). However, mostly it is limited to transit/cruiser boats
with limits on the length of time.

I have never heard of the situation being any better in Oceanside or Dana
Point.

Los Angles/San Pedro have a few small, lightly regulated marinas in the port
back waters that might let you liveaboard, but that would be a 'catch as
catch can'. Long Beach is a long wait, just for a slip and very limited
liveaboards.

I have heard that there are liveaboard slips available in Marina Del Rey.

California is not a liveaboard friendly state since all of the water front
is controlled by local port district at the pleasure of the Coastal
Commision and the DNR or something like that. All marinas operate on leased
water front and these local authorities dictate how many, if any, may live
aboard their boats. Claims of polution, enviornmental impact, etc.

This attitude and restrictions have followed me all the way to the Pac. NW.

My philosophy, go cruising, be a moving target and claim transit status.
That's usually good for 30-90 days at most marinas.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions