BAR[_2_] BAR[_2_] is offline

Default Wrap your mind round this'un

In article , payer3389
@mypacks.net says...

BAR wrote:
In articlet5qdnaqmfKAN6ijQnZ2dnUVZ_jGdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
BAR wrote:

My uncle was in the seminary but decided that he wanted to do more with
his life. He went to USMC OCS and became a fighter pilot and when to
Vietnam and flew F4's.

Our family is very Catholic, very conservative and very generous to
charities.

Of course when you explain the economics of liberalism vs. conservatism
to children who start earning their own money it opens their eyes.
No offense to your uncle, but just how did he do "more with his life" by
being a fighter pilot in Vietnam? Is killing people a higher calling
than saving them?

There's more to being a good Catholic, I've been told, than being
"generous to charities," especially as it relates to other people.
Charity is great, don't get me wrong, but the papal encyclicals demand
more of good Catholics than charity.

Why don't you convert? You talk about Catholics so much and you proclaim
to be more knowledgeable than Catholics.

As for your last sentence, I think it is hogwash.

Hogwash? When my daughter comes home from a baby sitting job and I
explain to her how taxes work. She gets ****ed off and wants to know why
the government gets to take money from her when the government didn't do
any work. That $40 she earned turns into about $25 by the time
government is finished taking its cut.

I am going to get my quarterly bonus check in a couple of weeks. Do you
know how much I get to keep? 48%. The government takes 52% of my bonus
check in the form of taxes.

Your babysitting daughter is in the 37% tax bracket?

Independent contractor. She would be obligated to pay all of the SS and
Medicare. That is 18 percent right off the top. Then the Fed gets their
cut and the state will want their cut too.

Oh, I'm sure *your* explanation of how taxes work is imbued with more
than a little right-wing teahadist nonsense. Your concept of the
"government not doing any work," by the way, is just more ignorant
nonsense. The government makes sure the air is reasonably clean, the
water is reasonably pure, the roads and sidewalks are maintain, the
schools are open, the food is reasonably safe, that there's a fire
department, and so forth and so on. Have you taught your daughter about
the cost of such services? Does she think they are free?

And yours would be imbued with a bunch of left-wing bull**** about how
you should feel good about giving money to people for sitting around on
their asses all day long watching TV waiting for their next meal to be
delivered.

Our local fire department is volunteer. When they come around looking
for donations each year we show them our appreciation.