Steven Shelikoff

Default keel stepped/deck stepped masts

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:39:15 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:38:06 GMT, (Steven
Shelikoff) wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. If, when there are sideloads in squalls,
knockdowns, etc., the deck stepped mast failed by remining in one piece
but slipping out of it's step, then I'd agree that a keel stepped mast
would solve that problem ... if it didn't snap at the deck. But most
of the mast failures I've see are when it snaps somewhere aloft, like at
the spreaders. How it's stepped doesn't make a difference when it
breaks up there.

=====================================

The issue of whether or not the mast fails as one piece or multiple
pieces is separate from the structural considerations.

Here's a different way to view the situation: A keel stepped mast is
cantilevered at the deck and thus derives extra support. A deck
stepped mast is essentially pivoted at the deck rather than supported
by it.

That's exactly how I am viewing it. But the support at the deck of a
keel stepped mast is not going to do a damn thing to keep the mast from
breaking if the rigging fails in rough weather. If anything, I'd think
you'd have a slightly better chance of salvaging a deck stepped mast
after a catastrophy and jury rigging it up again since, if it does come
down with a pivot at the step, you've got a chance it may still be in
one piece. Of course it all depends on what breaks and how it comes
down. The only mast I've ever had come down due to rigging failure was
on a deck stepped boat and everything was salvagable. Lose the rigging
on a keel stepped mast and you're pretty much guaranteed to break it.

Another difference between them is that, when the boat is parked at the
slip, you can take the rigging down and not have the mast fall over if
it's keel stepped. But then it's also a little tougher to get the mast
up and down when you want to if it's keel stepped because you have to
lift it up a bit.

And the last difference I can think of is that you don't have to worry
about a compressed compression post and attendent deck sag with a keel
stepped mast.

Steve