[email protected] emdeplume@hush.com is offline

Default 7 Habits of Highly Frugal People, or How to Get the Boat You Always Wanted

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 16:12:52 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:39:23 -0400, John H
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 07:56:31 -0400, Wayne B wrote:

Or how to get the retirement you always wanted, or just about anything
else. As this excellent article points out, it is all about
attitude.

http://moneyning.com/frugality/7-hab...frugal-people/

A quick quote from the beginning:

=====
The book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People has sold over 15 million
copies since it was first published in 1989, teaching people all over
the world how to live a happier, more successful and more satisfying
life. One of the prevailing themes of the book is the fact that to
change your life you need to change your attitude because no one else
is responsible for what happens to you but you, so you can either
complain about the things you don’t like in your life or you can set
about changing them.
=====

Some good ideas there.

I wish I'd been presented this when I was a teenager. This is the kind of thing that should be part
of a high school curriculum. It would be much more appropriate than a lot of the crap that's being
taught.

The best thing you could teach a teenager is to get in the habit of
paying yourself first. Set up a savings program from day one where you
put something like a tenth of your income into savings. If you start
right away you will not miss the money. Then after a while, when you
need a car or something, you can buy it and not finance it. If you do
that, make car payments anyway ... to yourself.
Once you get started, you end up spending as much money as everyone
else but you are paying yourself back instead of making a banker rich.

It is all just getting started on the right foot.

I always hear the bleeding hearts say they can't afford to save any
money but somehow they can still manage to come up with 12-29% of most
of what they spend to send to a banker in interest.

I thought it was the bleeding hearts who support people who are paying
the interest rates. Sounds to me you're being pretty reactionary when
it comes to people are less well off or less financially aware than
you.