Rich Hampel

Default keel stepped/deck stepped masts

Stress-wise a 'cantilever' connection is very weak and vulnerable ....
and requires much more 'meat' to make it work. It is also subject to
'stress risers' (things that make it 'weaker' by geometry) at the root
and requires some pretty precise shape/form to make it work well.

In article , Wayne.B
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 12:38:06 GMT, (Steven
Shelikoff) wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. If, when there are sideloads in squalls,
knockdowns, etc., the deck stepped mast failed by remining in one piece
but slipping out of it's step, then I'd agree that a keel stepped mast
would solve that problem ... if it didn't snap at the deck. But most
of the mast failures I've see are when it snaps somewhere aloft, like at
the spreaders. How it's stepped doesn't make a difference when it
breaks up there.

The issue of whether or not the mast fails as one piece or multiple
pieces is separate from the structural considerations.

Here's a different way to view the situation: A keel stepped mast is
cantilevered at the deck and thus derives extra support. A deck
stepped mast is essentially pivoted at the deck rather than supported
by it.