Harryk Harryk is offline

Default $1.87 per gallon...

wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:47:18 -0400,
wrote:

BAR wrote:
In articlejYWdneirypkx4zDQnZ2dnUVZ_rGdnZ2d@earthlink .com, payer3389
@mypacks.net says...
I_am_Tosk wrote:
That's what gas prices were the day Barak Obama took the Whitehouse.
Pelosi promised the "first" thing she would address would be gas prices.

They have done nothing but shift a bunch of food into dollars for
Chicago ethanol speculators and refiners, this of course will be a
disaster...

What a simple-minded little troll you are. Fuel prices are determined by
speculators who depend upon fear-mongering. You're one of the
"fear-mongered" masses.

What's your problem? Is the kiddie motorbike racing season in jeopardy?
The Saudi's have come out and said that the market is over supplied. The
price should drop. The questions is will it?

The market, which is for all intents and purposes, unregulated, is
controlled by speculators, not by supply and demand. We. of course, let
the speculators do this, instead of standing up to them and forcing
changes in the way that part of the petrol business is run.

The best control on unreasonable speculation is the market. When these
guys get stuck with contracts that they have committed to and are
significantly higher than the spot price of oil the bubble will pop.
How long that takes to be reflected in gas prices is the variable but
you also have speculation in gasoline itself. Like any commodity,
these transactions are usually highly leveraged so things can happen
pretty fast. What motorists will do, is to slow down discretionary
usage and it doesn't take a lot of demand shift to make speculators
lose their ass because of this leverage. A little fear can drive the
market a lot more than a bunch of regulation.
These days, with the ethanol, gasoline is as perishable as some
produce.They only have about 90 days from refinery to carburetor
before it starts to spoil.

1. There's something about petrol speculators losing their ass that I
find appealing.

2. I doubt the gasoline deterioration problem is as bad as you describe.
When I parked my lawn tractor in the garage last November, the fuel tank
was about half full. I cranked the tractor up the other day. Started on
the first turn of the key, in about 15 seconds, and I mowed the lawn
without incident. This gas was bought about 15 November. It's at least
five months old. I shook up my one gallon can of two cycle mix and used
it to start up the chainsaw and string trimmer. Same vintage gas. No
problems.